1) Your shells are really fresh if they can close tight themselves. Crabs and lobsters are not fresh if they are internally dissolved. You can ascertain this if you shake them gently.
2) A fresh and healthy lobster has its tail turned inside. A fresh crab must be in a container full of salt and ice.
3) A unique tip now. Spread many thick salt grains in a Pyrex bowl. Take a cleaned average (about 1/2 to 1 kilo) fish, put some aromatic herbs or spices in its stomach and put it on the salt grains. Cover it completely with thick salt grains and cook it in the oven for 45 mins. Then take it out, break the salt crust and put some oil and lemon on it. You will be astonished by its taste.
4) Your squids won’t harden if you put them in water with soda (sodium bicarbonate).
5) Instead of covering your fish filets with flour, cover them in some ready mixture for cheese balls or potato croquettes. They become tastier and adopt a better colour.
6) To avoid bad odours when cleaning fish cover it with lemon juice and put a piece of cheese in its stomach.
7) If you don’t want fish scales to make a mess of your kitchen, clean the fish into a basin full of water and some lemon juice.
8) When you cook fish in aluminous foil oil the fish well, otherwise when you open the aluminous foil after cooking it all the fish skin will go away on the aluminous foil.
9) For better taste, when grilling fish put in its stomach some aromatic herbs such as pepperoni slices, mint leaves, or even a piece of tomato. Spread around the fish some pepperoni slices and smear some mayonnaise sauce on the grill under the fish. You won’t believe the results.
10) You can preserve cooked octopus in the fridge for many days, if you put it in a glass jar and cover it with vinegar. It makes a fantastic gourmet!
11) Do you want to de-freeze fish in the best possible way? Put them in a bowl full of milk! It will add to their natural flavour and you can use the milk to make a delicious dressing for the fish.
12) The best way to freeze fresh fish is to put them in a bag or bowl full of water and put them in the freezer. This can preserve them for 3 months. To de-freeze them break the ice and let it melt in the fridge, never in room temperature.
13) Smoked fish should have pleasant dry flavour and shiny skin. If it is blurred just don’t buy them.
14) Don’t eat fish on the second day of cooking. It has lost all its flavour then.
15) In order cod fish to become lighter in taste, before you cook it put into its water a small spoonful of beer yeast.